Homemade Laundry Detergent



   Laundry detergent- it is a money pit. We bought a front loading washer last year ( we go through a washing machine about every year... 5 kids = a lot of laundry) So I had started buying the high efficiency detergent and it was killing my cleaning budget. Even the off brands are pricey and I figured about 25 cents a load if your kids or husband didn't put in a whole cap full instead of a third of a cap like the instructions clearly state!!!!

So I normally got about 50 cents per load. I found a "recipe" for making home made detergent, it is completely safe for front loaders, and is also safe for sensitive skin types.

1 cup Fels Naptha or Ivory soap (grated finely) less than 2 dollars/ bar or 10 bars of Ivory for 3.75 at Dollar General
1/2 cup washing soda  3.79 per box ACE hardware
1/2 cup borax  4.79 per box ACE hardware

   I actually prefer to use the Ivory soap, the Fels has a strong smell, not in a bad way but my husband has pretty sensitive allergies. That said, I have also made it with 3 parts Ivory and 1 part Fels or even half and half and it did make a difference in how strong it smelled.

Estimated cost: $1 for 32 TBS or 3-6 cents per load (depending if you add 1 or 2 tbs to the washer). Or cheaper if you get any items on sale or use mostly Ivory soap as it is cheaper than the Fels. 


























Use the super fine end to grate the
soap so that it will dissolve properly





  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ace Hardware in my town had a Ladies Night Out and had the laundry soap recipe as one of their demos. I've used it since and it works great!!!!
Thanks for all the other recipes you have listed as well

Post a Comment